So, it is official...I have been approved to do my UWEC 30-hour service learning project at the Austrian Red Cross (Österreichisches Rotes Kreuz ) in Hartberg, Austria. The Red Cross in Europe works much differently than it does here in the US, as here the main purpose is disaster relief and basic medical response training. In Austria, the Red Cross does do disaster relief and training, but also operates the main ambulance service. By calling 144 (their equivalent of 911) you would speak with a Red Cross operator who would dispatch an ambulance from the area, fully equipped with gear, first responders, and in certain situations a doctor. There are many ambulance services in comparison with the number of hospitals. The system therefore depends on a lot of volunteer services to remain in operation. I will be working for a a few days, as a first responder on one of these ambulances. It will definitely be interesting to see how their healthcare system operates, but even more-so to be fully immersed in a german-speaking workplace. (...Luckily they still understand English, and in an emergency medical situation, most of the action relies on training rather than an understanding of the language.) I'll be sure to post photos and stories once I'm on the job...apparently I might also get one of these awesome red and white EMT jackets, and I am totally stoked about that :)
No comments:
Post a Comment