On Tuesday morning Johannes and I took a bus to Graz to meet his American friend Ashley who is studying for here for the semester and to see some of the sights of the city. Graz is where he goes to college, so I got to see lots of hidden shops and cool places...not the typical touristy stuff. We saw a few Trachten shops where I looked at all the beautiful traditional clothing and talked with the gentleman there who explained what regions all the Dirndl styles came from. They were all gorgeous.
Johannes and I met Ashley at the Christmas Market and drank Glühwein as we looked at what handmade crafts the other booths had to sell.
We also stopped at the train station later to fill out an application for me to get a student card for the train tickets, so I can get really cheap rides all over the country. And just by chance, we met Johannes' sister Kathi who was waiting to catch a train to Bad Mittendorf, where we were about to go.
That afternoon we met Johannes' brother Engelbert and got picked up by his parents to head to Bad Mittendorf, a small rural community in the alps in the Western part of Styria, the middle part of Austria. There we would visit the farm house where preparations for his grandfather's funeral were taking place. Once we arrived here, I realized I wasn't a typical tourist. I was right in the middle of Austrian life, not just the things advertised in vacation brochures. The family farm and home was built in the early 1300's and was huge! We attended a prayer service at a small chapel that evening, and went into town to stay at a bed and breakfast.
Our room was overlooking the town, surrounded by snowcapped mountains. The next morning, we got up and headed back up the mountain side to the farm. There, we had homemade Wiener Schnitzel and potatoes with dumpling soup for lunch. The burial and funeral service were not until 2 o'clock, so Katharina, Johannes, his mom, and I drove a few minutes up the road to the town of Bad Aussee. It is the center of Austria and a very popular tourist destination. As a Christmas gift from his parents, Johannes' mom took me to get fitted for a Dirndl Leib (top part of a traditional Ausseerland region dress) and I was SO excited to find this out!
No comments:
Post a Comment