24 December 2009
Frohe Weihnachten! Merry Christmas!
Here are a few pics from today's festivities here in Austria. Pretty different to the Christmas I am used to at home, but really nice just the same. All of the celebrating is done on Christmas eve, and for the most part, just with immediate family. Johannes' friend Ashley also joined us, as she is an American studying in Austria for the semester and had no one to spend Christmas with.
The evening begins by filling a pot with hot coals from the fireplace. (Below) Pieces of incense are added to the hot coals. As it burns, we walked around the house to each room singing songs and blessing them with the incense and holy water.
This is Engelbert adding pieces of incense to the hot coals in the pot that Johannes carries.
After the blessing of the rooms, we sat down to a really extravagant version of the typical dinner-Jause (the name of this homemade, cold dinner) Dark rye bread with meats, cheeses, boiled egg, pickles, butter, mayo, and tomatoes. We also had hot fruit tea with oranges and spices.
We all had to hide in a room while the the Christmas tree and gifts were brought up by Johannes and his dad (of course, the Kristkind "really" brought these up) It was adorned with straw and paper ornaments, pine cones, gingerbread and chocolate covered bananas...with real candles and yes- lit sparklers!
We sang O'Tannenbaum and then sat down to open gifts. I received some really nice things- The dirndl lieb (which I already knew about since I had it fitted), chocolates, a piece for a Nativity scene (Krippe), painted art, a german book, and handknit socks made by Johannes' mom :) Plus a surprise trip from Johannes. I have no idea where we are going or what we are doing, and apparently not a single person other than he, does. All I know is that it is over New Years...so we'll just have to wait and see because I am not being told until I get on a bus, plane, train, or anything else to the destination!
{Ashley, Johannes and I after gift opening.}
{Nativity Scene...Die Krippe}
After opening gifts, sharing a bottle of honey wine, and playing games, We walked into town for the church service. It was pretty much exactly the same as a Catholic church service in the US at Christmas time.
No comments:
Post a Comment